Emergency Certificate (EC)
Emergency Certificate (EC) is a one-way travel document to India. It may be issued only to Indian nationals in the following circumstances:
- A new passport cannot be issued because of pending verification from India.
- Indian nationals who have been refused passport
- Indian Nationals living illegally in Nigeria
- If a passport of individual has been impounded/revoked, or whose passports have remained expired for a long time;
- If a passport cannot be issued to the applicant due to any other reason
EC is issued primarily to facilitate the individual’s return to India in an emergency and can be issued only when the individual’s Indian nationality is confirmed.
How to Apply:
Arrange the following documents:
- Photocopy of the first page and last page of the current/last passport. 2 Photographs.
- Proof of current Nigerian residence address: (allowed address proofs: Driving license, landline telephone bill, Lease Agreement, Tax statement, , Government Photo ID,
- Indian address proof
- A letter on a plain paper addressed to the Consulate General of India, Lagos explaining the circumstances and reason for seeking an EC
- Copy of all CERPER/STR/any other visa.
- In case passport has been lost, the Original Police Report lost item report mentioning the serial number of the lost passport.
Once you have secured the documents, fill up the online application form at https://embassy.passportindia.gov.in/ (make sure that the details are filled based on your passport). Print the form and bring them to the Consulate with all the above listed documents between 0900-1100 hrs on a working day.
Processing Time: Though Consulate's goal is to ensure quick service yet processing time may vary in each case depending upon nationality verification based on the documents submitted by the applicant.